Saturday, March 12, 2016

Urgent Care on a Holiday Weekend


Original Post: Sunday, January 17, 2010

Even after washing with hot soapy water, alcohol and Betadine, my hand turned red and blew up like a balloon. By Saturday morning, I couldn’t move open my right hand or grip anything.  I got some help from the United Health Care Insurance's Nurse Line, and was told to go to Urgent Care. Urgently. And that was the last help I got from them. 
The 3 Urgent care centers in network "within 20 miles" were all across the Bay. Milpitas, Fremont and Newark. Well, maybe 20 miles - if you can FLY! The closest one in Milpitas is 19 miles driving, and ALL of them involved a long drive across bad roads or bridges IN BAD WEATHER! WTF?
I called the Customer Care number on the back of the insurance card, only to get a recorded message that due to the Holiday (MLK Day), offices were closed. Please call back Tuesday. The website was not much more help. 
So, I called PAMF site in Mt View, and they said: you're covered, come on down. It only took 3 hours sitting in a waiting room full of people coughing and sneezing. 
2 antibiotic injections and a bottle of horse pills later, the fight was on!
Oh, the cats? Happily sharing the 8x8’ bathroom. It's crowded in there. Tigger hasn't come out of the carrier, so I'm feeding her in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment